Barnabas Bulletin ~ 0222
HOW AVAILABLE TO GOD ARE YOU?
In a day when the Christian Gospel is needed more than ever there seems to be a real lack of Christians offering themselves to the service of God. Becoming a born-again, Holy Spirit-filled Christian means that we are committed to the will of God being done in and through our life. It does not mean we have to wait until we get a title, or become professionally trained. Titles, programmes and professionalism can all be hindrances to what God wants to do.
- The more Jesus has of us, the more He can do in and through us.
- There is no limit to what God can do when we are fully yielded and committed to Him and His purposes!
- Jesus saved us because He desires a personal walk and relationship with us whereby we can become “workers together with Him” (2 Corinthians 6:1).
- It is about getting to know His voice and being obedient to that voice. That way we accomplish more for God than any other way of ministry.
- He has made the nine Spiritual Gifts available to us (they dwell in the Holy Spirit Who dwells in us – think about that for a moment; wherever you go daily, God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit go with you).
- The more sensitive we become to what ‘God in us’ wants to do through us, the more we shall see the works of God accomplished through us.
The Spiritual Gifts functioning through us are “door openers” and open up all sorts of opportunities for us to minister the life and reality of Jesus Christ to others. Operating in the Spiritual Gifts opened up the world for me to minister, and it has been my privilege and joy to be used of God around the world through obedience to the Holy Spirit.
- His ways are very different to our ways.
- That is why we have to build a personal relationship with Him so that we get to know His voice in such a way that we know that obedience to that voice is the best way of all.
He is the Spirit of Truth and does not tell us lies (John 15:26 & John 16:13-15). He has been sent by Jesus to us so that we will know the guidance and will of God for our life. Once He speaks to us, the next step is ours. We have to demonstrate to God that we believe it is His voice we are hearing enough to step out in obedience to what He is saying. Nothing happens until we exercise our faith by our obedience to that which He is asking of us. It works! Praise the Lord!
Being available and obedient to the Holy Spirit brings about the best results. Amazing things can happen, because when we are working together with the Holy Spirit we are ministering Spirit to spirit to people. Ministering to the spirit within people has the biggest impact because we are first and foremost spiritual beings.
THE LABOURERS ARE FEW
When we hear what Jesus said and taught while on earth, we discover that there is a real reluctance in so many of His followers to become personally involved. In Matthew 9:36-38 He said: “But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary (“harassed”) and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest truly is plentiful, but the labourers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into His harvest”.
Consider what is being said here by Jesus. The harvest is plentiful, but the labourers are few. Who are the labourers? They can only be the born-again Christians. Unbelievers cannot have a message or passion to get out and win others to Jesus. To those reluctant disciples Jesus asked them pray that He would send forth labourers into His harvest. Those who prayed got sent forth! (see Matthew 10).
Each one of us, individually, needs to seriously ask our self:
- Am I doing what Jesus Christ saved me for?
- Do I know His plans and purposes for my life?
- Am I involved in the gathering in of that plentiful harvest?
- If not, why not?
- Am I hiding behind excuses?
- What is holding me back?
We need to be very serious about our calling and purpose in God. That includes making ourselves available ~ more available ~ to God to use us.
Make very sure you are filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, with the ability to speak in other tongues, for they are keys to enabling us to fulfil the purposes of God in our life (see Acts 1:8; Acts 2:1-4; 1 Corinthians 14:2-5; Jude 20). Having the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit within us is the key to our being able to gather in the harvest for Jesus. Jesus Himself told us we need to be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, and speaking in other tongues.
- Jesus said that BELIEVERS would speak with new tongues (Mark 16:15-20).
May we all be prepared to make whatever adjustments we need to in order for us to fulfil the purposes of God in this day and age in which we live. The purposes of God can only be fulfilled through the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through us. Make very sure you are filled with the Holy Spirit, as you cannot fulfil the will of God ~ or even please God ~ through our own natural efforts. Sell out totally to Jesus and you will be amazed at what He will do in and through your life to impact and prepare others in time for all eternity with Him. God bless you. ~ Rodney W. Francis.
Bible Reading: Isaiah 6:1-9 Acts 4:29-31
Prayer: “Dear Lord, I come to You in Jesus’ Mighty Name, and I ask You to help me to be a totally available and committed Christian, demonstrating to You my love by my desire and obedience to fulfil Your calling in my life. Forgive me, Lord, for all the excuses I have made. Help me to be rid of all excuses and simply be totally available to You and Your purposes. Please help me to cultivate a greater love, desire and commitment to You, so much so that others will see and know that I am different and will want to know why that is so. Please forgive me for any lack of discipline in reading Your Word that causes me to be a powerless believer in You. Thank You for Your love and commitment to me, even when I have not always been totally ‘sold out’ for You and Your purposes. In Jesus’ Name I pray these things, Amen.”