Barnabas Bulletin ~ 0235
KNOWING THE POWER OF THE PEACE OF GOD
For the Christian, having the peace of God in our hearts and lives is a wonderful asset. When we gave our heart to Jesus, His peace came into our lives in a very real way (Luke 7:48-50; Luke 8:48). But once we are born-again Christians, the Bible teaches us that we are to do certain things to retain that peace. That peace is vital in today’s troubled society. There are so many things happening that will cause us to lose that peace if we do not take heed to what the Bible teaches us. Here are some keys to retaining God’s peace in our life:
- KEEP REJOICING! We are to be a rejoicing people; rejoicing in what the Lord has accomplished in His coming into this world to pay the supreme sacrifice for our sins and what He has done for us since we gave our heart to Him. Rejoicing in Jesus deals to any anxieties that try and creep into our life and get us side-tracked from the reality of what Jesus has done for us. “Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy ~ meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:4-9).
- PRAYER AND THANKSGIVING! When we are living a committed prayer and thanksgiving to God life-style, then there is no room for the enemy to get into us with his negative accusations. “But in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).
- KEEP FOCUSSED ON THE TRUTH AND RIGHT THINGS! It is important that we have a daily devotional life where we keep our eyes on the truth and the right things of life. There are so many distractions these days, and if we do not keep our eyes on Jesus, then we can get led astray into that which cannot help us to live in God’s Victory. “But the Helper (Comforter), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. . .” (John 14:26-27).
- KEEP LOVING GOD’S LAW/WORD! Knowing the Bible in a way that we have a real love for it. When we have a real love for God’s Word then we will want to spend time in it, seeking to know the truth it reveals to us and which also contains the secrets to His will being done in and through us. “Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble” (Psalm 119:165).
- KEEP LISTENING TO JESUS! Listening to Jesus is an ongoing, daily relationship with Him. He speaks today and His sheep hear His voice (John 10). As we listen to Him and believe what He says to us, then His peace will abide in our hearts in a beautiful way. “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
- KNOW THAT JESUS HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD! All the above five points are to help us to know that Jesus has overcome everything that we will ever face in our life. He holds all the answers to every situation we will face. As we keep focussed on Him and all He has accomplished for us, then we are able to also overcome those negative things that come against us. “The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace” (Psalm 29:11).
- WE MUST PUT ON THE WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD! It is our responsibility to make sure that we have put on the whole armour of God so that we can stand against and resist the tactics of the enemy. We are then representing the Gospel of peace (see Ephesians 6:10-20).
- “LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED, NEITHER LET IT BE AFRAID”! The peace of God reigns where there is no fear or a troubled heart. “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).
- GOD WANTS US TO BE BELIEVING PEOPLE, ABOUNDING IN HOPE! “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13). God does these wonderful things for us when we desire Him to fill us with all joy and peace in believing. Hallelujah!
- LET THE PEACE OF GOD RULE IN YOUR HEART! Notice it says we are to let the peace of God rule. We can determine whether we abide in His peace through love, or we can allow other things to enter in and rob us of that peace. “But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful” (Colossians 3:14-15).
We see from the above Scriptures and statements that we do have a responsibility to believe and live in a way that the peace of God can remain resident within our lives. If we recognize that we are lacking in the realm of having the peace of God within us, then seriously consider the above points and see what adjustments need to be made in order for the peace of God to be a continuing blessing inside of you. Without the true peace of God residing within us we will make wrong decisions, have hasty re-actions, lack patience, not show true love, etc.
Why is this message so important? In this Ministry we are continually receiving mails from around the world. Many of them are from Christians who are struggling to know God’s peace, will, etc., and are crying out for advice and help. The more we can yield to the purposes of God the more peace we will know in our lives. God’s way is best for us and when we are being obedient to His way then all of His blessings are available to us and give us great peace because we are walking in the light with Him.
Be encouraged to press in closer to Jesus and so receive all His benefits that He has for us. Hallelujah!
“The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace” (Psalm 29:11).
“Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen” (Romans 15:33).
Go forth in that peace of God daily and watch what He will do for, in and through you. Blessings ~ Rodney W. Francis.
Prayer: “Dear Lord God, I come to You in Jesus’ name, and I ask You to help me to be more committed to Your plans and purposes for my life, so I will know Your abiding peace in a more powerful way. Please help me to put into practice the above 10 pointers so I will not be hindered by anxieties and fears. I do want to be a true disciple of You, Jesus, and walking in Your peace day by day. Please forgive me for any lack of commitment I have had towards You, and help me to let the peace of God rule in my heart and life daily. I do long to be the person You have saved me to be. In Jesus’ Name I pray these things, Amen.”